In areas with large concentrations of people, it is very important to disinfect the air periodically, destroying pathogenic bacteria and viruses. This is especially important in medical institutions where infectious and non-infectious patients are received. The first can infect the others with airborne droplets, and the medical personnel, despite the use of protective masks, are also under threat. Due to the coronavirus epidemic, effective air disinfection has also become a priority for other public places. Special equipment, such as bactericidal irradiators and recirculators, is used to solve this problem.
What is recirculator
Special lamps are used in sterilisation irradiators. This is a source of ultraviolet irradiation, which destroys pathogens and destroys their DNA. A recirculator is a type of irradiator in which the lamps are installed inside a closed case. In addition to one or more lamps, this medical device includes a fan. It provides forced air circulation:
- air which contains bacteria, viruses is absorbed into the case and then is irradiated by UV light;
- purified, disinfected air is returned to the room;
- a new portion is coming in.
So the whole air volume in the room is gradually disinfected. This process is called recirculation because a fan repeatedly runs through the housing and cleans the same air.
Types of recirculators
he important characteristic of bactericidal recirculators is productivity, the volume of air handled per unit of time. It depends on the capacity of the fan, while the decontamination efficiency depends on the number of lamps and their total capacity. Based on performance, professional and domestic recirculators are distinguished, and the latest recirculators can be used at home. Recirculators are also classified according to their intended use, and the specifics of their installation are:
- Stationary, wall-mounted, wall-mounted ceiling installation;
- mobile, portable, can be installed on horizontal surfaces;
- for installation in public transport – with improved wind resistance and power parameters, can operate at 12, 24 or 110 V;
- robotic – the most high-tech type of mobile recirculators. They are equipped with wheels, an autonomous power source, sensors that allow the device to bend around obstacles and an intelligent charge control system. When it is lowered to a critical level, the robot stops working and drives to the base station for recharging.
There are also combined action devices that can be used for air recirculation and surface treatment with open radiation.
Benefit of recirculators
The main benefit of using recirculators is that they destroy up to 99.9% of the pathogens that are in the air and suppress their vital functions, including reproduction. As a result:he main benefit of using recirculators is that they destroy up to 99.9% of the pathogenTs that are in the air and suppress their vital functions, including reproduction. As a result:
- risk of cross-infection in hospitals, clinics, other health care institutions is reduced
- prevents the transmission of infection from patients and viruses to healthy via airborne droplets;
- risk of infection of ready products is minimized at food industry enterprises.
Is it safe to use recirculators?
Patients of polyclinics often see a warning on the doors of their rooms: “Do not enter! Quarteting is going on”. The idea that radiation that destroys microbes is also not safe for people has become firmly fixed in their minds. Indeed, when quartz lamps work, ozone is produced. This gas destroys pathogenic microorganisms, in small concentrations it is beneficial for human health, and in large concentrations it can cause poisoning, an allergy attack and provoke cancer. The impact of ultraviolet itself directly on the skin and the eyes is also dangerous. This is why precautions must be taken when operating most air disinfection equipment: when working with an open irradiator, you must leave the room, and after quartzing, ventilation is obligatory.
Recirculator – the most safe device for air disinfection:
- in bactericidal recirculators, lamps with bulbs made of violet glass are used instead of quartz lamps, the so called ozone-free lamps. This glass does not pass through the part of the UV spectrum that turns oxygen into ozone;
- recirculator – is the closed irradiator, UV radiation does not leave the non transparent case, only affects the air inside it;
- there are no filters in the recirculators and therefore no air pollution caused by untimely cleaning or replacement. (This is a problem occurring when using air cleaners);
- fans are silent, do not overload the nervous system.
So that recirculators can be used safely in the presence of people and pets, there is no need to take the plants out of the premises or provide ventilation..
The recirculator helps in the control of infections
Recirculators have many advantages. They are easy to maintain and have a working life of thousands of hours. Due to forced air movement, it is disinfected even in far corners. The device can operate continuously and is used in the presence of people; in the event of an acute epidemic situation, these features make it indispensable. Due to the variety of models, it is used in different environments. For example, you can buy an inexpensive, compact recirculator model for your home or office.